BIG ANNOUNCEMENT Revealed!


I promised you all a big announcement and here it is:  The covers for the Harlow Whittaker Trilogy have been redesigned by the very talented and funny Whytnie McDonald!  The old covers will always been something that is close to my heart because they were the first images that were on the first two books that I ever published so that is still quite a big deal.  The new covers are epic and tell a story all of their own so if you ask which I like more it's like asking me to choose between my two children.  I love them each but I'm very excited to introduce you to the new cover artist Whytnie, who I forced to answer interview questions.  Sidenote:  As a writer I love blogging, it allows me express myself in a more honest and freeing way without characters and plot and all that good stuff, but I realize artist get that sort of satisfaction from drawing or painting so Whytnie thank you for obliging and allowing us a little peak into your process.


My Questions will appear in black while Whyt's responses will be in green

Tell us a little about yourself.  Did you always want to be an artist?  What brought you to drawing/creating?  Born and raised in Wichita, Kansas. I moved to Southeast New Mexico about five years ago.  I am married with two ferrets and a cat. Think I was always destined to be an artist. I started drawing at age 3 and haven’t stopped yet. 

What is your favorite medium?   My favorite medium will always be pencil, but in the last few years I’ve been really getting into digital painting. I paint on the iPad using a nomad brush and art apps Artrage and Procreate.


Who/what has it influenced your art?  My biggest influence growing up was my grandma. She always pushed me to do my best and to pursue my passion for art. She passed away when I was fifteen but I will never forget everything she did to encourage my love for art.

What is your favorite piece you have created, and why?  One of my favorite pieces I have ever done is a portrait of my aunt and uncle. He passed away about a year and a half ago. I did the drawing as a tribute, which was displayed at his funeral service. Drawing that was my final way of saying goodbye and paying respects to a great uncle, whom I was close to.  

Tell us a bit about how you came to draw the covers.  Where did your idea for the covers originate?  I came up with the book cover ideas after reading the books, and learning about the main characters. The first cover is of Harlow Whittaker. I keep her appearance aloof so that my depiction of what she looks like wouldn’t be imposed on the reader. The theme is dark since she travels to different places in her sleep. Second cover is of the Archers who protect Harlow through her journey. The last book is the villains, the shadow reapers, dark creatures with snake eyes, wearing a tattered robe.

What inspires you?  What inspires me? I would have to say people and life.


Can you describe your process?  Do you just sit down and draw whatever you want or do you have a set routine? I don’t really have a set routine for drawing. Whenever I feel inspired I draw. I do draw every day. 

What is your dream for your artwork?  My dream is to turn my passion into a career. Getting my work into a gallery is defiantly a goal of mine.

To see more of Whytnie McDonald's work check her out on Instagram, @boss1688

Look for the final installment of the Trilogy Coming THIS WEEK!

Comments

  1. I can't wait to read these books. I'm inspired by the new covers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts