30 Days of NO EATING OUT

Now that the book is officially out, people keep asking me, how did you do it?  How did you write and publish a book while raising 2 kids and a dog and having a part-time job and a husband?  And I was always like, if you really want something you find the time.  But after reviewing our year end finances I realized I cheated, a lot. 

At one point in my life my love to eat turned into my love to cook, I love to slice potatoes, I find therapy while making pasta from scratch.  I love planning meals for my family, and am proud of the fact that when we grocery shop we don't purchase processed food (except cheese, and fruit snacks and granola bars), so if what I just wrote is true then why on earth was so much of our hard earned cash going to fast food joints??  I'll tell you why, because when mom aka "homecook supreme" is writing, editing, designing a cover, and publishing a book, she's gonna cut corners somewhere. 

So after getting that budget slap to the face I decided that the Day-Sanchez's were going to go 30 days without eating out.

Now we are currently on day 4 and I have been sick so luckily I haven't wanted to leave the house, but Dr. Pepper and French fries have been calling my name, hardcore.  Even our 3 year old asked for chicken nuggets for a snack last night.  But we are holding strong (which is why I made homemade chicken nuggets and French fries for lunch today).

It's all about meal planning.

For instance yesterday, once I realized the baby and I were finally over our winter cold, we were going to leave the house today and go do something fun.  But if were going to do a kid outing, usually that meant stopping at our favorite burger place on our way home.  But that's not an option so I took the chicken breasts out of the freezer last night, and since the pack came with three, two were chopped into nugget sizes and the last one I baked and will reheat for us for dinner tonight along with rice and broccoli.  I only need to feed me and the littles tonight so that should be plenty of food. And there, two meals done at once.  Later we'll bake cookies, since it's gotten pretty ugly outside, and we all crave something sweet in the evenings.

This all sounds so easy as I type it, that I am hoping it remains this way after I return to work in a couple weeks, or next week, maybe I should check when I do go back.

Healthy Eating!

Comments

Popular Posts